Sunday, April 14, 2013

Nighttime at Meadowlark Cabin

It STILL has not been warm enough for us to thoroughly enjoy our screened porch and to dine the night away while listening to the nocturnal creatures of the forest.   Instead, we bundle up in sweatshirts, sit close together snuggled for warmth, and toast to all things good!



This is my favorite time of day.  Always has been, even when I was a little kid.  Unlike a lot of normal people, I actually feel a rush of energy at the end of the day, as the night air settles in and the sun disappears until dawn, I feel alive and keenly aware of my surroundings.  No, I am not a vampire... just a night-owl.


 The view of the twilight woods from the porch.

 
I am totally fascinated by space, the moon, constellations, etc.  Unfortunately, I've never learned the constellations and it all seems like a foreign language to me.  One of these days, if I feel I have the time to devote to it, I will study it in depth, but for now, I am completely satisfied just being a casual observer and admirer.


I do know that the above photo is Orion.  I was mighty proud of this photograph since it was my first real attempt at constellation photography, which is quite tricky I might add.



..and this is the Big Dipper (or little dipper)... heck, I don't know which it is, but I know it is a dipper... or a drinking gourd.  I would rather refer to it as a "drinking gourd" because I do love Civil War era history and I believe this constellation was very important to The Underground Railroad's travelers.





Good-night from Meadowlark.


No comments:

Post a Comment